Posted 03/18/19 - Jersey City, New Jersey
Liberty Humane Society, 235 Jersey City Blvd., Jersey City, NJ
Job Title - Animal Control Officer - Full Time
Summary: Liberty Humane Society Animal Control Officer is responsible for performing various animal control- and animal-care related duties, under supervision in a humane and professional manner.
• Enforcement of Animal Control laws and ordinances
• Picking up/trapping stray, injured, ill dogs or cats, utilizing knowledge of humane methods of handling and capture
• Ability to recognize sick or injured animals and arrange for medical care
• Responding to animal complaints or concerns
• Assists and advises the public of laws and ordinances pertaining to care and confinement of animals
• Community outreach/provides accurate and appropriate responses to all requests by the public with professionalism and courtesy
• Handling/capturing of wildlife when necessary
• Cleaning/feeding/caring for the animals housed at the animal shelter
• Utilizing shelter computer software with skill and proficiency
• Completing reports, maintaining records, and making notifications and referrals
• Maintaining a clean, safe, fully stocked and well organized work area and vehicle
• Maintaining a positive attitude and contributing toward a quality work environment
• Communicating to management any and all occurrences involving animals that require attention
Abilities and Qualities Required:
• Must possess a valid certificate as an Animal Control Officer issued by the New Jersey Department of Health
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Ability to be efficient and productive in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to firmly and calmly communicate in stressful situations
• Must have enthusiasm and possess excellent customer service skills
• Excellent communication, listening and computer skills
• Ability to handle confidential information in a secure, professional and discretionary manner
• Must be able to work independently within a team structure
Hours/FLSA Status: EXEMPT POSITION Full-time salaried position. Schedule may vary depending on the needs of the department. Position will require weekend, night, on-call and holiday work.
Introductory Period: The introductory period runs from the date of hire for three months thereafter. For employment in any position with Liberty Humane Society, this introductory period is the period during which the specifics of the job are learned. During this period, either the employee or the Liberty Humane Society may end the employment relationship without notice or prejudice.
Employment: There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by acceptance of an employment offer.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter referencing your specific interest in this position at LHS to email@example.com